Week #13 What We Believe About Last Things
Eschatology is the study of the end times.
Article 10: last Things:
“God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth; the dead will be raised; and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous in their resurrected and glorified bodies will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.”
Isaiah 2:4; 11:9; Matthew 16:27; 18:8-9; 19:28; 24:27,30,36,44; 25:31-46; 26:64; Mark 8:38; 9:43-48; Luke 12:40,48; 16:19-26; 17:22-37; 21:27-28; John 14:1-3; Acts 1:11; 17:31; Romans 14:10; 1 Corinthians 4:5; 15:24-28,35-58; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Philippians 3:20-21; Colossians 1:5; 3:4; 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18; 5:1ff.; 2 Thessalonians 1:7ff.; 2; 1 Timothy 6:14; 2 Timothy 4:1,8; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 9:27-28; James 5:8; 2 Peter 3:7ff.; 1 John 2:28; 3:2; Jude 14; Revelation 1:18; 3:11; 20:1-22:13.
- What we know for sure will happen?
- I want to share with you 5 things:
- God is sovereign and in control of all things.
The BF&M begins with an affirmation that, “God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end.”
- The end is coming. 1 John 2:17, Isaiah 65:17,
- Jesus will return to earth.
The BF&M says, “According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth;”
- The return of Jesus is a promise from Jesus. John 14:1-3
- The angels at the ascension of Jesus told the disciples the same thing. Acts 1:11
- When Christ returns it will be glorious. Matthew 25:31
- At His return every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is Lord. Philippians 2:10-11
- His return will be sudden and unexpected.
- The dead will be raised.
1 Corinthians 15:52, 1 Corinthians 15:55, 1 Thessalonians 4:16
- All men will be judged. Matthew 25:31-46,
- A picture of Heaven and Hell?
- Heaven will be a place of reunions.
- With Jesus. John 14:3
- With loved ones who were saved.
- Heaven is a place of rewards.
- A Incorruptible Crown. 1 Corinthians 9:25
- Crown of rejoicing. 1 Thessalonians 2:19
- Crown of righteousness. 2 Timothy 4:8
- Crown of life. James 1:12
- Crown of glory. 1 Peter 5:4
- Heaven will be a place of rest.
- From all forms of suffering. Revelation 21:4
- From the constant struggle with sin and the trying association with sinful people. Revelation 21:27
- From our toils of life, and it will be a place where we will lay our burdens down.
- This rest will be a time of continual service to God, freely and joyfully given. Revelation 22:3-4
- Heaven will be a place where the radiance of God will shine so brightly that we will need no other light. Revelation 21:23
- Heaven will be a glorious place of great worship.
Revelation 22:3, Revelation 4:8-11
- Hell. Revelation 20:13-15
- Hell is a place of everlasting fire. Luke 16:24,
Matthew 13:42, Matthew 25:41, Revelation 20:15
- Hell is a place of everlasting punishment. Matthew 25:46
- Hell is a place of eternal torment and pain. Luke 16:23
- Hell is a place of weepingand wailing.
Matthew 8:12, Matthew 13:42
- Hell is a place of gnashing of teeth.Matt 13:50
- Hell is a place of darkness.Matt 25:30
- Hell is place where the wicked will not die. Mark 9:46
- Hell is a place of hopelessness.
III. How should we live knowing Christ is coming again?
2 Peter 3:11
- Live with eternity in view. 1 Thessalonians 5:8, 2 Peter 3:14
- Make the most of your time. Ephesians 5:15-16, John 9:4
- Live in anticipation of His return. Matthew 24:12
- Our attitude should be that of Paul’s in Philippians 3:20 when he says, “But our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ…”
- Our prayer should be that of John in Revelation 22:20 when he says, “Amen, Come Lord Jesus.”
- For those who do not know where they will spend eternity Revelations 22:17 says come.