What We Believe As Baptist
Week #3 What We Believe About God The Father
Article Two Point A: God the Father
God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and all wise. God is Father in truth to those who become children of God through faith in Jesus Christ. He is fatherly in His attitude toward all men.
Genesis 1:1; Genesis 2:7; Exodus 3:14; Exodus 6:2-3; Exodus 15:11; 20:1; Leviticus 22:2; Deuteronomy 6:4; Deuteronomy 32:6; 1 Chronicles 29:10; Psalm 19:1-3; 1 Peter 1:17; Isaiah 43:3; Isaiah 43:15; Isaiah 64:8; Jeremiah 10:10; Jeremiah 17:13; Matthew 6:9; Matthew 7:11; Matthew 23:9; Matthew 28:19; Mark 1:9-11; John 4:24; John 5:26; John 14:6-13; John 17:1-8; Acts 1:7; 1 John 5:7, Romans 8:14-15; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 4:6; Colossians 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:17; Hebrews 11:6; Hebrews 12:9.
- The Work of God the Father
- Bruce Ware said “The work of God (creation, redemption, consummation) can be rightly understood only as the work of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit unified in the purpose of the work but distinct in the participation and contribution of each member.” – Bruce A. Ware, Father, Son, & Holy Spirit, p. 17
- God the Father is the giver or orchestrator of salvation.
- God the Father is the creator.
- God the Father is sovereign and supreme authority.
- God the Father is revealed as Father.
- God has given life to every person.
Acts 17:25, 1 Chronicles 17:13, Isaiah 9:6, Psalm 89:24-26, Isaiah 63:15-16
- God is the ideal father.
- God is the father of the fatherless.
- God the Father is a God of providential care.
Providence means that God provides for His own, giving us everything we need.
- God’s providence is seen in His care and protection.
Genesis 37, Genesis 39, Genesis 40, Genesis 41, Genesis 42
- God’s providence is seen in His provision.
1 Kings 17
- The attributes of God the Father and what that means for us:
- God is Sovereign.
- He is self existent.
- God is Spirit.
- God is Holy.
- God is infinite.
2 Peter 3:8
- God is omnipresent.
- God is omniscient.
- God is unchanging.
- God is righteous.
- God is just.
- God is merciful.
- God is gracious.
Psalm 103:8, Romans 3:22-24, Ephesians 1:7, Ephesians 2:8-10, John 1:17, Romans 5:17, Exodus 34:6
- God is a preserver and protector.
- God is truthful.
- God is love.
1 John 4:8