What We Believe As Baptist
Week #11 What We Believe About The Lord’s Day
Romans 14:5-9; Colossians 2:16
Article 8 of the Baptist Faith & Message: The Lord’s Day.
“The first day of the week is the Lord’s Day. It is a Christian institution for regular observance. It commemorates the resurrection of Christ from the dead and should include exercises of worship and spiritual devotion, both public and private. Activities on the Lord’s Day should be commensurate with the Christian’s conscience under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.”
Exodus 20:8-11; Matthew 12:1-12; 28:1ff.; Mark 2:27-28; 16:1-7; Luke 24:1-3,33-36; John 4:21-24; 20:1,19-28; Acts 20:7; Romans 14:5-10; I Corinthians 16:1-2; Colossians 2:16; 3:16; Revelation 1:10.
- Why Sunday and not Saturday?
- There are 2 reasons why Christians worship on Sunday.
- Jesus rose from the grave on Sunday.
1 Corinthians 16:2
- Christians wanted to be different than the Jews.
- Sunday is to be a celebration and remembrance of Jesus’ resurrection.
- The principle of Christian liberty.
III. The priority of corporate worship.
1 Corinthians 16:2
- Folks, the reason people go to the house of the Lord is because they are in love with Jesus and want to join with others who are of like mind and Spirit and worship Jesus together.
- Sunday is the Lord’s Day, it is a day when we, as the redeemed, gather to worship the Redeemer.
- It is a day set aside for reflection, a day for worship and spiritual devotion.
- It is a day which should, in a very real sense, be something every born again believer looks forward to each and every week.
- They practice private devotion.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
2 Corinthians 6:16
- Scripture tells us that our very bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and that the very way in which we live our lives should be an act of worship.
- All of this calls us to a consecrated life; a life of private devotion which is lived for Jesus 7 days a week, not just on Sunday.
Allow me to suggest several things which I think will help us seek to live a consecrated life:
- Read the Bible daily.
- Spend time in prayer daily.
- Seven days without prayer makes me weak.
- Attend church regularly.
- Devoted Christians who love Jesus attend church regularly.
- Share your faith faithfully.