What We Believe Series: What We Believe As Baptist
Week #15 What We Believe About Education
On Sunday October 8 & October 15, 2017, A.M. Service
Article 12: “Christianity is the faith of enlightenment and intelligence. In Jesus Christ, abide all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. All sound learning is, therefore, a part of our Christian heritage. The new birth opens all human faculties and creates a thirst for knowledge. Moreover, the cause of education in the Kingdom of Christ is co-ordinate with the causes of missions and general benevolence, and should receive along with these the liberal support of the churches. An adequate system of Christian education is necessary to a complete spiritual program for Christ’s people.”
“In Christian education there should be a proper balance between academic freedom and academic responsibility. Freedom in any orderly relationship of human life is always limited and never absolute. The freedom of a teacher in a Christian school, college, or seminary is limited by the pre-eminence of Jesus Christ, by the authoritative nature of the Scriptures and by the distinct purpose for which the school exists.”
- The foundation for Christian education is God’s Word.
2 Peter 1:21
2 Timothy 3:14-17
- The Process of Education.
- Personal discipleship is the responsibility of every believer.
- Christian education must start at home.
- Parents must steer their children toward Godly Christian universities.
- Christian Education in the Local Church.
- The church is to focus on the Word of God.
2 Timothy 4:2
- Through the teaching ministry of the church.
2 Timothy 2:2
- Through the missions ministry.
III. The problem with the church teaching your child.
- How can you put the truth about Christian education into application?
- Get interested in personal discipleship.
- Get intentional about your family’s spiritual formation.
- Get involved in passing God’s Truth on.
- Initiate it.